Wednesday, May 14, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 4)












"Those days ,the World War II had begun.Germany had used gas extensively & all troops taking part in war in Europe had to be trained in correct use of Gas Masks.I was given a special training at Pune for about a week & thereafter,I started imparting training to All ranks at the Training Centre.





I remembered the words of the then Company Commander Capt Banerji who ,by now,had been posted out.I was leading a comfortable life at the Training centre but my heart was not there as my fellow brethern were fighting the Axis Forces in the African & European Theatres.  You know,for a soldier war is everything.It is a 'Nasha'- a 'Janoon' & a sacred act .While taking my oath at Lucknow,I had dreamt of the days when I shall fight any where on land,sea & air & my oath shall be fulfilled !After so many years and having earned my golden parachute wing,I thank God that I became worthy of my humble services to my country.

I was given all sorts of encouragement at the Training Centre & assurances that I shall soon be promoted to the rank of Sergeant Major.I ignored all these.My heart was some where else & I wanted to join the raging battle. 

Finally the day arrived.

It was 1940.

We  embussed military trucks at night & reached Meerut. After two days,we left by train for Bombay.We stayed in the dilapidated structures near the Lion's Gate awaiting arrival of the ship.Now a problem arose.Suddenly, our departure was put on hold.The rumour going around was that Mahatma Gandhi had opposed move of Indian Troops overseas.After three days all was clear.

We embarked KALA GHODA. It had Burmese staff on board. 

It took us 8 days to reach Aden.









( To be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment