Thursday, May 15, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 5 )







" It was my first exposure to a sea voyage.Belonging to an almost nondescript hamlet of the lower Himalayan Region, taking a journey through Arabian Sea was ,in  itself ,a big thing! There was a lot of excitement amongst us.For all of us,it was our first exposure to a passage through  high seas.




When we embarked after the last night, it took more than 4 hours for KALA GHODA to lift its anchors.Slowly the dim lights of Bombay harbour faded away.We were highly cramped.This notwithstanding ,I dozed off.

Early morning  I woke up with a sick feeling ; my body was losing coordination.I was feeling awkward.In the  next few minutes,I vomited out in the basin  nearby.The sea state was about 2-3 when we had left Bombay & now it had increased to about 4-5.There was a lot of pitching & rolling.Although the ship was a big ship, it was not comfortable.The vomiting did not stop & I was moved to the Ship's Infirmary.I was administered fluids and given some some tablets by the Burmese Doctor & Staff.There was always scarcity of drinking water.The whole day was spent on the general ward's bunk bed.I remembered my hills,my people,my Himalayas ,my cattle & everything of my native land.

Next day I felt much better.I asked the Medical Attendant for something to eat.Language was a big problem.I made suitable gestures by my right  hand fingers touching my mouth.He returned with a tin of sardines, opened it & emptied  the contents in an enamel plate .He made the same gestures that I had made seeking food.I smiled & he too smiled.Our eyes & body language communicated.Language had ceased to be a barrier.

We continued sailing in the high seas with nothing around for hundred of nautical miles for days together.Now I realised the meaning of what my folks had meant by  'Sat Samandar Par' !

Italians had occupied parts of British territory of Somali land.Marshal Graziani's Forces were around.There were talks that the 'Italian Fauj' had an entertainment Troupe that followed every military convoy of theirs! This was surprising indeed !






When we were  nearing  Aden, shelling had increased .We were targets of the  Italians.While the ship got two near hits with little damage,it was enough to create  panic.

I recall Sikh & Maratha troops boarding the ship at Bombay.There were  at least two battalions besides elements of  ASC,Ordnance,Medical Corps ,etc.The Burmese Staff was separate.

We disembarked at Aden at night & Kala Ghoda was berthed alongside in a safe place.






(To be Continued)











No comments:

Post a Comment