Wednesday, May 14, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 3)

























"While we served the British, there always was a feeling of total subservience & lack of freedom & while both these factors were instrumental in creating an inferiority complex amongst us,however,let me make it clear that most of the British Officers were humane,professional ,truthful,honest & impartial.They were good judges of human behaviour.

Future generations will marvel at this island race that conquered a subcontinent 20 times the size of their own country and established an empire that vied with the empire of Rome in spendour. Let me also hasten to add that when the British knew they were no longer wanted,they went with dignity,bequeathing total sovereignty to the people they had conquered and ruled for generations.Our military bands played 'Auld Lang Syne' and 'God Save the King' at the time of British troops leaving the shores of India.


My training Instructor was a Pathan by the name of Sardar Ahmed.I have seldom come across such a fine human being.He taught us everything.After our attestation parade was over ,I was singled out as being the best amongst the trainees.My Company Commander Captain Banerji assisted by Sardar Ahmed pinned an NCO's rank on my uniform.Capt Banerji said 'Come what may,you shall not be posted out anywhere ,& henceforth ,you shall be part of our Training Team.'

In one of the morning Weapon Training Sessions, while I was demonstrating Left Parry, suddenly a young British Officer who was watching me & whom I did not see,came to me. He admonished me and told me that I was giving a wrong demonstration to the Squad.I knew that what I was doing was right.I asked him to conduct the lesson as an Instructor &  I as a trainee shall charge with a rifle.Since I was excited & visibly annoyed ,I pushed the officer very hard & he fell down on all fours.

I did not know that all this was also being witnessed by my Commanding Officer(CO)- a British Lt Col.

The British Officer made an official report about my poor conduct to the CO.I was marched in.The British Officer was also called in. The CO listened patiently to both sides of the story.While the young British Officer was repeatedly asking the CO about award of deterrent punishment to  me,the CO said, 'I have seen the entire action taking place.What Mani was demonstrating  was right & you had no business to interfere in the lesson plan'. I was marched out from the CO's office.

I never saw the British Officer again in the Training Centre.



(To be Continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment