Tuesday, May 13, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 2)




















" So, for the fear of conversion to Christianity & 'going sat samandar par', I had no option but to stay put at Almora.In the meantime,the American Staff had wound up. I gave them a tearful good bye.They were extremely nice people who taught me good things.There I came to know the importance of self discipline and time.There was no one supervising me.I was a young lad &  had access to virtually everything.I learnt to be accountable & scrupulously honest.The Americans liked it.

In the next three years,I lost all my loved ones who had looked after me.I did all sorts of odd jobs at Almora including a short stint at Delhi but never compromised my basic values & ethics.

It was  the summer of 1938 when I had come to my village.The very next day,I visited Almora. I straightway went to the Bright End Corner.The roads that I had supervised had come up well & I had a great feeling of achievement.While walking to the Bus Station,I was contacted by a Havildar  who proposed that I join the Army as it was a happening career.Those days,2 Rupees were given to a Havildar who brought a fit candidate for recruitment.I recall that it was one Recruting Officer Sah to whom  I was presented to.

In the medical examination,it was found that my right ear was blocked.On closer examination, it was found that the block was due to a plum seed that I had inadvertently -though foolishly inserted  inside my ear long many years ago.

I was temporarily rejected on medical grounds.

Any way the block was removed  at the local civil hospital and 
at the age of 18 years I was recruited in the Royal Army Medical Corps by the same Recruiting Officer.It was a sheer coincidence that I followed on the same path that was shown to me by the American Lady Doctor & the Missionary Staff.


An interesting thing happened when I was being interviewd by the Recruiting Officer.He said " You are a Joshi-a Brahman.How can you join the Army?" I said" No Sir,I am a Thakur.My father's name is Jeet Singh". I remembered the name of Shri Jeet Singh.He was from our village.

Those days there were no photos & other testimonials/certificates needed.After my papers were signed & I was found medically fit & my age was ascertained by the Army Doctor ,I was instructed to report to Lucknow for training.

On recheck of my documents at Training Centre ,Lucknow,I was again asked the same questions regarding my being a Brahman & Joshi. I was brought in front of Lt Col Dhotiwala who said " He will not be returned.Make him a Unit Pandit, if required".

While I did not become a Religious Teacher, I became C. Mani.In later years I became the blue eyed of all my commanders especially the British Officers who fondly called me Mani.I worked very hard.I could now converse with the British Officers though I had made the beginning at Almora while working with the U.S. Lady Doctor.

I would never forget the good turn done to me by Lt Col Dhotiwala.Till today,I am beholden to him for his greatness & magnanimity.


( To Be Continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment