Wednesday, May 21, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 9 )





I, BENI SINGH & BULLY BEEF










(The Bully Beef Tin)






(Italian prisoners under British Guards in Palestine)



" During war,there was no movement of trains during day.

The military special trains used to move only at night.There were strict instructions that there would be no light of any kind between last light & first light.

Imagine even the engine driver was not permitted to switch on the main lights & see the tracks.Even cigarette smoking was forbidden at night. So what we used to do was to make blanket igloos  and smoke inside.There would be a trusted watchman who would keep a vigil. We had gained     expertise ,in that, in two or three long & deep puffs ,we could finish off the entire cigarette ! This, apart from the enjoyment of defying the orders ,would also give us a  great kick.

The mind would go blank with a strange feeling of 'nasha'.In some cases, there would develop unending bouts of coughing.The latter was dangerous as it would alert our seniors that there was something fishy going on !

The big problem was that we have had nothing to eat for almost 36 hours.Everything was rationed in those days .When the war is on, scant regard is paid to individual needs.We had been on the move for a long time.

I was In Charge of defence stores and also of Officers Mess Rations.The British Officers had different type of rations.Most of these were  tinned. When I had taken charge,I had taken count in bulk   of total number of cartons carrying meat,butter,jam,milk,marmalade,porridge, etc.

At about 2 O'clock in the morning, my helper Beni Singh came to me & said that he was extremely hungry.I too was very hungry but I could not tell my subordinates about it as we were to get some rations early morning at the next halt.

Beni- my buddy. He hailed  from Rajasthan. An extremely good fellow .He told me, 'We are carrying so many cartons carrying tinned rations for the Gora Sahebs.You have been entrusted the responsibility of the Officers Mess Rations.Both of us are extremely hungry.What difference will it make if we take out a tin & eat it's contents'.

I did not reply.My conscience did not permit me to give a verbal approval.I kept quiet.

He thought that my silence was indicative of my having agreed to his proposal.

He took out a tin ,  twisted the top key & opened the lid.There was no spoon or fork so he inserted his bent finger inside & took out a big chunk & ate it.

I asked him ' How is it ?'

'Great.It is very,very tasty.You too must enjoy it as you have not had food for so long'. 

I did the same activity as Beni had done.It tasted OK.We were lucky to have some water with us.After we both finished off the tin, we drank water & dozed off.

We woke up  at first light.The engine had gained little more speed as the driver could see the tracks clearly.

I looked around.I saw the empty tin.It was ' BULLY BEEF'. It carried  a picture of  two big horns.

Beni instantly put two fingers into his mouth to vomit.Nothing came out.He started cursing himself.

That was the first & the last time I ever had beef.I realised that it was not our fault as everything was unintentional.

But Beni was inconsolable.He said' I will have to do penance at the banks of Ganga'.

Long many years back,I met him at Lucknow.We laughed & laughed & laughed.But he told me that the first thing that he did on reaching his village was to rush to the temple of his Presing Deity & asked for forgiveness.


( To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment