Friday, May 23, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 13)







I HOISTED THE TIRANGA IN KANPUR MILITARY STATION 






" In those days, Hindus & Muslims were like brothers.They lived together, played together & fought the war together.The only difference was that they had separate cook houses.All this hatred & animosity started only after partition.Politicians on both sides are instrumental in creating rift & misunderstandings amongst both communities".

" Indian army fought for it's honour. We were NOT mercenaries.Quite a few of us were second/third generation Faujis. We took pride in joining Army-the noble profession of Arms."









" What I see today pains me.I am totally disappointed .All that we did to get freedom for this great land has brought only sadness.The dedication,accountability & credibility - all these are on the wane.While I understand that loss in human values is a global phenomenon & this down-gradation is not limited to our Army alone.What I am talking about is regimentation-the feeling of camaraderie,sense of belonging & bonhomie".

"I recall when I had gone to the District Magistrate (DM) Almora to get a permit for rations,K Oil,Ghee cloth etc for my marriage.I was wearing my uniform.The DM had seen me from inside his office.He sent his orderly to call me.I entered his office & gave him a smart salute.He was a medically down categorized British Officer  from Ireland who had served the Indian Army.He shook hands & asked me to sit down.He called both the Sub Divisional Magistrate & District Supply Officer to his office.The DM told them that I should be given all items that I wanted.Those were the days when everything was rationed & one had to obtain permits from District Authorities. Such was the officer cadre.Today,there is little respect for us- the Veterans. OROP has become a big joke.For hours together, we stand in the Military canteens & Government offices. What to talk of the DMs, even a Patwari does not talk properly to us."

"There is massive corruption all over.It is shameful.Did we sacrifice our lives to see this day ?"

" Quite a few people ,much- much younger to me  call themselves 'Swatantrata Senanis' .All was over after 1945. Then, how come  have such people got the title & benefits?  Can you rig to become a Swantantrata     Senani ?"Sad indeed !

" I proudly recall that I had hoisted the Tiranga at Kanpur Military Station at the stroke of mid night on 15 Aug 1947.Orders had come from New Delhi that no British Officer will hoist the National Flag.I am a witness to the lowering of Union jack & hoisting of our National Flag by my own hands.An unforgettable &  proud experience for me.Can you believe it,while this ceremony was going on,my Commanding Officer-himself a British Officer & other British Officers were present there.All of them saluted the 'Tiranga'. 




















(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment