Thursday, May 22, 2014

REMINISCENCES OF A SOLDIER: 95 NOT OUT ( PART 12)


















We landed at Karachi just in time to celebrate Deepawali in 1944.It was a full four years tenure that I had in Africa & Middle East.It was a miracle to have survived!

The turning point came at the battle of El-Alamein in October 1942,when Allied Forces under Lt Gen Montgomery,forced the Axis troops to retreat.The Axis Forces eventually surrendered in North Africa in May 1943.

Round about this time,Allied leaders had decided that it was time to attack Germany itself.Under the overall leadership of Gen Eisenhower of United States,Allied Troops landed on the shores of France.Soviet Troops moved across Eastern Europe.

Well, rest is history.Hitler committed suicide with German Troops surrendering.

Japanese tail was on fire and on 6 and 9 August 1945,two atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima & Nagasaki resulting in Japanese surrender.About 134000 people died in the man made catastrophe.Many more suffered radiation & burn injuries.

The World war II was won on U.S. Dollars - I am sure !

By 1945, many Allied cities as well as the country's factories,industrial installations/infrastructures & communication systems were in complete ruins. as a result of German bombings.

As a soldier it was alright since 'all is fair in love & war'.

Japanese were great soldiers. I abhorred the idea of dropping of atomic bombs on innocent people!

I was sent to Pune for the VCO's Course. I topped the course & from there I returned to Lucknow with a shining star on my shoulder. 

I thought for a moment that I had become the Viceroy!




(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment